Easy 5 Minute Tomato Sauce with Gnocchi
This tomato sauce is so easy and quick to prepare. In only 5 minutes the sauce is ready! What do you need? Just a few ingredients: tomatoes, spices, and vegetables. A delicious healthy recipe which is also great for Meal Prep.
I often make pasta or gnocchi with a very simple tomato sauce and I’m sure you’ll like this recipe too. There is almost nothing simpler than making a tomato sauce. My Pesto Calabrese, Rosso, or Avocado are also quick and easy to make. If you are short on time or like to prepare quick dishes I suggest you try these sauces. The tomato sauce is not only quickly made but also very tasty and filling. You don’t have to use pasta either. You can also add gnocchis or potatoes in general. These taste very good with the tomato sauce too.
Ingredients easy Tomato Sauce
For the tomato sauce, you only need a few simple basic ingredients that are often already in your pantry. You can add some extra ingredients to the tomato sauce or make it healthier by adding vegetables or seeds. I particularly like the tomato sauce with peas, chickpeas, beans in general, and/or roasted pine nuts.
- Diced or pureed tomatoes are of course essential for this dish. Without tomatoes, it does not work :-D. You can use diced or pureed tomatoes. I prefer to use diced tomatoes. You can also add some fresh tomatoes.
- Garlic and onion are a must in almost every dish I make. These two ingredients not only taste great, but they also give the sauce a great flavor.
- Pine nuts give the dish a slightly nutty taste. Roasting the pine nuts brings out the flavor even more. You can simply fry the pine nuts without fat in a pan at medium heat until they become golden brown.
- Spices should not be missing! The sauce tastes best with fresh basil and chili spice. For a more spicy flavor, you can alternatively use a fresh red chili pepper. Season the tomato sauce with salt and pepper. Don’t throw away the basil stems because they have an even more intense taste. You can simply chop them and add them to the sauce.
- Pasta like Linguine as well as Spaghetti taste best with the tomato sauce. But also Fusilli or Penne go perfectly with this sauce. I prefer to use a whole grain or spelt variation. These varieties also contain more nutrients. You do not want to use Pasta? Then try Gnocchi or Potatoes with the sauce!
You can add cream cheese or crème fraîche to make the sauce even creamier. As for toppings, you can also use some grated cheese or nutritional yeast.
To prepare the tomato sauce with gnocchi, you only need a pan and a pot for the pasta or gnocchi. While you simmer the pasta in a pot you can prepare the tomato sauce.
This easy Tomato Sauce
- Done in 5 minutes
- Very tasty
Are you looking for more delicious plant-based recipes for lunch or dinner? Then you might also be interested in the following dishes:
How do you like this recipe?
I would be very happy to get feedback from you! If you try this tomato sauce, please leave me a comment with a ⭐️ rating. Are you active on Instagram? If you post a picture of this recipe, please link it to me with @plantiful.heart so I can see your creation! 🤩
5 Minute Tomato Sauce
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes or Tomato Purée
- 20 gr Pine Nuts
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Onion
- 1 handful Fresh Basil
- 1 tbsp Water
- Spices: Chili, Oregano, Salt and Pepper As you like
- 1 packet Gnocchi Alternative: Pasta
- 250 gr Vegetables like Chickpeas, Peas or Corn OPTIONAL
- Prepare gnocchi according to the package instructions.
- Peel and chop onion and garlic.
- Heat some oil in a pan and fry onion, pine nuts, and garlic briefly.
- Deglaze everything with the diced tomatoes and some water. If you want to add vegetables, add them now.
- Add basil, chili, oregano, salt, and pepper. Let the tomato sauce simmer a little bit, so that the spices can soak in. You can add the gnocchi or pasta directly to the sauce.
Are you active on Pinterest? and do you like this recipe? Then you can pin the following picture 😀 You can find the Pinterest Button under the picture.