Vegan Lemon Cake Recipe
This vegan lemon cake is suitable for any occasion and is the perfect summer snack. The cake is so refreshing especially with the lemon glaze and by adding oil the cake becomes so juicy. The lemon cake is very easy to make with just a few basic ingredients.
At the moment it is beautiful sunny weather. So I started craving lemon cake. For me, lemons are a MUST in summer, so I wanted to create a lemon-flavored recipe. I thought with a standard lemon cake recipe I can’t do anything wrong. The cake has become very moist and delicious. The glaze should not be missing because it gives the cake an extra lemony and refreshing touch! I admit this is not my healthiest cake recipe but I personally like lemon cake best when it is made with all-purpose flour and actually with refined sugar. Of course, you can make the cake healthier but if sugar and all-purpose flour are not a problem for you, then give it a try. By the way, for this cake, I mixed wheat flour with a whole grain spelt flour but the wheat flour variation just tastes better.
Ingredients Lemon Cake with Glaze
For this vegan lemon cake you only need a few basic ingredients. The cake is super easy and also quickly made without much fancy stuff.
For the cake:
- All-purpose flour – This lemon cake tastes best with all-purpose flour as the lemon taste really comes through with the flour. You can also try another variety such as spelt flour.
- Plant-based milk – For the cake, you need plant-based milk. I prefer oat milk but of course, you can use any other vegan milk as well.
- Lemon juice & Lemon zest – Lemon should not be missing :-D. I recommend using not only the juice of lemon but also lemon zest. This way the cake gets a nice lemon note.
- Sugar – For the lemon cake I actually prefer refined sugar. But you can change that and use a sugar alternative.
- Oil or butter – To make the cake moist make sure you add oil. I used olive oil. On the other hand, you can also use butter which makes the cake smooth.
- Baking Powder
- Spices: Salt and vanilla extract
- Glaze: Lemon juice and powdered sugar
If you try another variation of the lemon cake, please let me know in the comments!
Easy Preparation – Lemon Cake with Glaze
- Make the dough
For the dough and the glaze you can buy ready-made lemon juice or you can use the juice from a lemon for the cake. For the glaze, you only need the juice from half a lemon.
Mix all dry ingredients together. The dry ingredients consist of flour, baking powder, sugar, lemon zest, salt, and vanilla extract. The liquid ingredients consist of olive oil, milk, and lemon juice. Stir the oil together with milk and agave syrup. Then mix the dry ingredients into the liquid ingredients.
The dough is ready. Remember to grease the baking tin beforehand and pour the dough evenly into it. Now you can put the lemon cake in the oven.
2. Make the glaze
Let the cake cool down a bit and then you can spread the glaze on the lemon cake. Sieve the icing sugar and mix it with lemon juice. The lemon glaze is so easy and quick to make. Let the glaze get a little firmer then you can finally cut the cake and serve it! 🙂
How to store the lemon cake?
For 2 – 3 days you can keep the cake covered at room temperature. After that, the cake will be a little drier. Nevertheless, the lemon cake tastes good for up to 7 days. From the 3rd day on I keep the cake in an airtight container in the fridge.
Be sure to try this lemon cake because the cake is
- without dairy products
- perfect for the summer
More delicious plant-based cake recipes:’
- Cheesecake with Blueberries
- Apple Pie Recipe
- Blueberry Cheesecake with Cashews
- Banana Bread with Strawberries
- Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
How do you like this recipe?
I would be very happy to get feedback from you! If you try this lemon cake, please leave me a comment with a ⭐️ rating. Are you active on Instagram? If you post a picture of this recipe, please link it to me with @plantiful.heart so I can see your creation! 🤩
- 300 gr All-Purpose Flour
- 200 ml plant-based Milk
- 150 gr Sugar or Sugar Alternative
- 120 ml Olive Oil or Butter
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tbsp Lemon Zest
- 60 ml Lemon Juice (One Lemon)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 pinch of Salt
- 200 gr Powdered Sugar
- 40 ml Lemon Juice
- If you use lemons squeeze the juice and peel them for lemon zest.
- Mix flour, baking powder, sugar, lemon zest, salt, and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl.
- Mix separately the liquid ingredients, consisting of olive oil, milk, and lemon juice together. Then stir the dry ingredients into the liquid ingredients.
- Grease the baking tin, pour the cake mixture into the tin and bake in the oven for about 40 minutes. By the way, you can use the chopstick test to find out if the cake is ready. It should not be liquid anymore!
- Sieve the powdered sugar and mix it with lemon juice. Stir everything into a creamy thick mass.
- Let the cake cool a little. Spread the glaze on your cake and then let it cool down.
Are you active on Pinterest? and do you like this recipe? Then you can pin the following picture 😀 You can find the Pinterest Button under the picture.