German Nut Bars with Chocolate
This german nut bars recipe taste so delicious and they are even vegan! The dessert is not only super delicious during the Christmas season but at any time of the year. The short pastry makes the nut bars crunchy. The nut filling gives them their unique flavor. The pastry is also very simple to make.
Vegan Nut Bars Recipe
These German nut bars are not only super delicious but also a healthier version of the usual recipes. These nut bars do not contain dairy products, wheat flour, or eggs. This dessert consists mainly of spelt flour and ground nuts. I have reduced the sugar. For the filling, I used coconut blossom sugar as a sugar substitute. You can also use less sugar or replace it completely. But you shouldn’t skip the butter, because it makes the dough smooth and soft. Another advantage of the nut bars is that they have a long shelf life. That means you can eat them for a few weeks. That’s how I did it too ;-).
How to make vegan nut bars
For the recipe, you need 2 mixing bowls, 1 pot, your hands :D, 1 whisk, 1 baking tin – in my case a baking tray, 1 fork to pierce the dough, and 1 spoon to spread the jam.
Which baking form is best for the recipe: A baking tray is perfect for the nut bars. Just line the baking tray with baking paper and that’s it! Otherwise, a flat baking tin is suitable for the recipe.
STEP ONE: Make the short pastry
- To make the short pastry, first, mix the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. You should take the butter out of the fridge for a few minutes, as it should be softer but still cold. If you don’t have a food processor and you work the dough with your hands, this is very important. I personally knead the dough with my hands.
- Cut the butter into small pieces, add some more milk, and knead everything into a dough with your hands.
- It is important that the short pastry is cooled before rolling out. Therefore let the dough rest in the fridge for a few minutes.
- Now roll out the dough on the prepared baking tray. Prick the dough several times with a fork and spread the jam on it.
STEP TWO: Make the nut filling
- Heat butter, water and sugar in a pot. But the mixture should not simmer! Let the ingredients melt.
- Mix the dry ingredients together and add the warm mass. Mix everything to a smooth nut mixture and spread it on the dough. Spread everything evenly. Put the nut bars in the oven for about 20 – 25 minutes.
STEP THREE: Melt the chocolate
Melt chocolate in a water bath. Let the nut bars cool down a little, cut them first into squares, then into triangles. Now you can easily dip the corners into the chocolate.
How to store nut bars
The nut bars have a very long shelf life. You can keep them for about a month in an airtight container. If they get a little dryer, you can freeze them. You can take them out of the fridge one by one and heat them.
Are you looking for more sweet recipes for the Christmas season? Then I can recommend the following:
- Vanilla Crescent Cookies
- Gingerbread Cupcakes with Buttercream
- Peanut Butter Cookies
- Chocolate Coconut Energy Balls
- Apple Cinnamon Muffins
How do you like this recipe?
I would be very happy to get feedback from you! If you try this nut bars recipe, please leave me a comment with a ⭐️ rating. Are you active on Instagram? If you post a picture of this recipe, please link it to me with @plantiful.heart so I can see your creation! ?
German Nut Bars
For the short pastry:
- 300 gr Spelt Flour
- 120 gr Plant-Based Butter
- 100 gr Sugar
- 30 ml Plant-Based Milk
- 1 packet Vanilla Sugar Alternative: Vanille Extract
- 1 tbsp Soy Flour Alternative: Chia or Flax egg, Apple Sauce
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 pinch of Salt
For the nut filling:
- 200 gr Plant-Based Butter
- 125 gr Coconut Blossom Sugar
- 200 gr Ground Almonds
- 200 gr Ground Hazelnuts
- 5 tbsp Water
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 5 tbsp Quince or Apricot Marmelade
- 100 gr Dark Chocolate
- Mix spelt flour, sugar, vanilla sugar, soy flour, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Cut the butter into small pieces, add some more milk, and knead everything into a dough with your hands. The butter should be cold and have a softer consistency. If you use a food processor, make sure that the butter is cold.
- Leave the dough rest in the fridge for 15 – 30 minutes.
- While the dough is cooling in the fridge, you can prepare the nut filling. Heat butter, water, and coconut sugar in a pot. But the mixture should not simmer! Let the ingredients melt.
- Mix ground hazelnuts, almonds, and vanilla extract together and add the warm mass. Mix everything to a smooth nut mixture.
Preparing Nut Bars
- Now roll out the dough on the prepared baking tray. Prick the dough several times with a fork and spread the jam on top.
- Spread the nut mixture on the dough. Spread everything evenly. Put the nut bars in the oven for about 20 – 25 minutes.
- The nut bars should cool down a bit but still be soft, so you can cut them better. Cut the dough into squares, then into triangles.
- Melt chocolate in a water bath. Now you can easily dip the corners into the chocolate.
Are you active on Pinterest? and do you like this recipe? Then you can pin the following picture ? You can find the Pinterest Button under the picture.